At The End of the Storm: The story of Liverpool's greatest ever league campaign

The first post-war Football League campaign of 1946/47 was the longest and most tumultuous ever known. For Liverpool FC, it was the ultimate triumph against adversity; a First Division championship won in a style that was to set a precedent for future Anfield success....
http://www.attheendofthestorm.co.uk

4th is still possible

Call me mad and call me deluded but having revisited the run-in I still think it is possible to finish 4th. We are of course heavily reliant on the results in the games of the other teams battling for 4th.

City have to play ManUre, Villa & Spurs at home plus Arsenal away

Spurs have to play Arsenal and Chelsea at home plus ManUre and City away

Villa have tough games against the Bluenoses, Birmingham and City

Of our last 5 games 3 are at home (albeit 1 of them is against Chelsea) and the 2 away games are against Burnley and Hull. Our away form has been terrible this season but surely Burnley and Hull won't stand in our way? (No offence to Burnley and Hull!)

I am a believer in "it ain't over til it's over" and whichever way you look at it, IT AIN'T OVER YET!

Villa and Spurs will give City a good fight, ManUre, Chelsea and Arsenal will no doubt take points off City and Spurs so let's not give up just yet. I agree it's an uphill battle, we've played one game more and are 4 points off 4th but come on look at the run-in. It is still possible.

If City go on to beat ManUre, Arsenal and Spurs and Spurs go on to beat Arsenal, ManUre and Chelsea then fair play to them but as there's currently a 3 way battle for the PL title I very much doubt it.

If in a couple of weeks I am proved wrong then I will concede that 4th has gone but until then I am not giving up hope and the next couple of games are at home which hopefully will do our confidence a power of good.

That said, 4th is not the be all and end all for the club. In fact missing out on 4th may serve as the wake up call that is possibly needed to demonstrate to Hick and Gillett that either they sell the club to someone that IS interested in football or they stand by their words when the first arrived in L4 and invest their own money, not continue to rack up debt!

Whether you believe Rafa should stay or go is not going to change the fact that whoever is in charge of the team next season and beyond needs financial backing. Oh, and a bigger stadium perhaps!

We need to regroup and fight as a team.

Keep the faith.

Come on Redmen!

YNWA

6 comments:

Ian_LFC said...

I agree - the fat lady has not sung just yet. YNWA

Matt said...

I agree with your comments about next season, financial backing and the new stadium, but I can't see us getting fourth.

If City, Villa & Spurs win their games in hand, we'll be seventh, and 7 points behind 4th with 5 games to go. All city would need is 3 wins and a draw from their final 5 games, and 4th is theirs. I want us to get 4th, but I just don't see it. We're losing motivation, the team look sluggish and petulant, and we don't have the strength and depth required to mount a 5 game winning streak.

Bev Ashwell said...

Gotta stay positive
Like 1st comment says it ain't over til the fat lady sings - aka Fat Sam perhaps??

loveraley said...

I agree with you and it is nice to see someone trying to stay positive in this awful predicament. Spurs and City do have a tough schedule ahead of them.

The point you made about not making 4th may be a key to H&G (Ugh, I despise those two). Regardless, I hope they man up and sell so we can get the investment we need to grow as a club.

Unknown said...

I recall us commenting even before yesterday's match that a season without Champions' League may not be a bad thing for the club.

There is so much conjecture, comment and opinion - the bottom line is simple, only those behind the walls of Anfield have any idea what is going on.

I think we still have a shot at 4th spot although yesterday was 2 points dropped.

The club is not in a great position financially, nor do I think in quality of squad ... again both of those are just personal opinion.

Look forward to reading your thoughts mate.

Jez said...

There is a chance we can get 4th and we can only hope we do, the position is not as important as keeping our key players - or do they come hand in hand?
A chance to regroup may be good and anyway, who would have thought manc would be snapping at our heels for title wins 5 5 years ago, miracles do happen!
YNWA

Post a Comment

About Me

I'm a 30-something husband and father of 2 who has recently decided to have a go at blogging. I love watching pretty much any sport but my passion is football and in particular Liverpool F.C. If you're here then thanks for stopping by and I hope you find my words interesting and thought provoking. Any comments, feedback and constructive criticism is welcome.